There are many viruses and other pc infections that can cause your Files and Folders to disappear, and only a handful of tools are available that can successfully repair such infections. Here is a simple how-to guide for removing these types of infections and restoring your hidden Files and Folders.
- First, the infection must be removed. One of the best tools for removing this kind of infection is ComboFix, and it can be downloaded from here: ComboFix. Save the downloaded file to a USB flash drive or your Desktop.
- Disable or close all anti-spyware, anti-malware and antivirus real-time protection programs.
- Open the downloaded Combofix.exe file and follow the prompts.
- When Combofix finishes, it will create and open a log for you to overview.
- Now that the infection is removed, we can proceed to restore the hidden Files and Folders.
- Download the Unhide program from Bleeping Computer here, and save it to your computer.
- Next, double click unhide.exe it to run the program – it may take anywhere from 2 – 30 minutes or more to run, depending on how many files are on your hard drive.
- Once unhide.exe has finished you should be able to view and open your files and folders again.